Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beer or Epoxy


Occasionally in boatbuilding you need to make hard choices.  In this case do you keep beer cold or epoxy warm? My shop is like most other people’s and is not a conditioned space.  It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.  Lately, I have been using System Three brand epoxy and it’s storage instructions are very clear to avoid freezing.   From an earlier experience, I can confirm that this is advice that should be heeded.  Additionally, when epoxy gets cold it’s viscosity increases and it can be difficult to dispense through a pump system.  So this past winter, a shop insulated epoxy storage compartment was needed.  I could have built an insulated box, but my cooler of 14 years caught my eye along with an about to be discarded exterior light.  Combining the two, quickly created a epoxy storage compartment that could be heated in cold weather to bring the viscosity up to a more useable level.  It has worked extremely well and I would recommend this system to anyone looking to store their epoxy. Summer is coming and I may regret the decision.  Till then.


0 comments:

Post a Comment