Sunday, February 1, 2015

Petrel Build 7 Finishing the Hull

Half way there! I have finally finished stripping the hull.  Ive been putting in a little time at the end of each working day, usually getting at least two strips in.  Its finally paid off with some progress.

 I finished my last boat build post just after I had stripped past the chine (sharp angle).  After that progress was very quick, I think I have now perfected the technique.  I added the keel strips leaving two moon shaped gaps on either side, then filled in the rest.  The last strips were a bit difficult and I think a bit of wood flour and glue filling will be needed.  I sawed off the ends and planed them down, they will eventually be capped off with a stem piece.  The ends can probably be planed back about another inch, almost to where the internal stem piece is, so you can ignore that chip in the bow.
I have a few slightly darker strips so I tried to be a little creative.  Once it is planned, sanded, glassed and varnished the contrast will probably stand out a little more.  Either way I not entirelly bothered, whos gonna see the bottom.  I stood back and looked on at my achievement and had the urge to pick it up, sling it on my shoulder and go for a paddle.  Not quite ready yet!

I spent a few hours pulling out the endless amount of staples, Im gonna try not to use so many in the deck.  I then flipped it over an rested it on the floor while I fastened some old carpet to the supports to act like a sling while I work on the deck.

Today I went back with a hammer to gently knock the forms free to remove the strong back.  I didnt have the camera on me but it looked great, like an open canoe.  I placed the stongback back in and put a few staples back in to keep it from warping.  Now work begins on the deck...

0 comments:

Post a Comment